First off, a tip of the hat to http://churchrelevance.com/ for presenting the research link.
As a children’s pastor interested in technology, media, and the Internet I am always looking for resources related to the way kids interact in the digital world. Recently OnlineFamily.Norton, a background computer program that shows that your children are doing online, released a fascinating report on the most popular search terms for kids 13-18, 8-12, and 7 & under.
Here are the top four search terms for ages 8-12:
Here are the top four search terms for ages 7&under:
Highlights from the research (quoted from the report):
• Kids under the age of seven spend most of their search time online on games (23%).*
• Kids under the age of seven are conducting searches for P2P sites like Limewire and Mininova.
• Boys’ top 25 search terms were mainly comprised of social networking sites, various websites, shopping sites, inappropriate terms, and games.
• Girls’ top 25 search terms were main comprised of social networking sites, as well as music and entertainment/celebrity terms.
• Top celebs on kids’ list of searches include Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Lil Wayne, Megan Fox, Eminem, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, Black Eyed Peas, Jonas Brothers, Rihanna, and Chris Brown.